Fix Canon Printing Issues in Windows 10
Canon is a well-known brand for printing multiple documents and photos. The vast majority of canon printers are compatible with Windows 10 printers. However, connecting your Canon printer to Windows 10 may occur issues sometimes, or even if you’ve connected successfully, your model may not print correctly. There could be many issues after a long time; hence you’ve to take appropriate action accordingly. The article you are reading here is a collection of the general solution for issues you encounter with your Canon printer in Microsoft Windows 10.
How do you add your Canon Printer to Windows 10 PC?
Make sure your Canon printer model is already linked to the same network as Windows PC. Then, go through shown steps to add your model to the computer printer list;
- Open the control panel and click on Devices and Printers.
- Click on Add a printer and choose your Canon printer from shown list.
- Wait for the printer to install on your PC and click on the Finish tab to close the process.
Restart Your Canon model
The first solution that worked for so many printing issues was restarting the canon printer. Power cycling your printer takes a few minutes. First, press the Stop button and hold for 13 times the alarm flash. Next, power off the printer and unplug the power cord. Wait a few seconds, reconnect the power cord, and then press the ON button to turn on your Canon printer.
Check Your Printer Connection
- Check all connections, including the USB cable, if your printer is wired. If Windows 10 can’t recognize your Canon printer model via a USB connection, remove the USB and reconnect during software installation.
- In the wireless Canon models, the signal may be lost sometimes and show you errors as a result. Hence, check the connection strength of your Canon model network. If the network is disconnected, press Stop and press the WiFi button until you see the network list on your printer screen. Choose a mode to connect and select the network. If it asks for the password, enter the correct password to reconnect.
- You can also try a wireless connectivity test according to the manual.
- Make sure the physical switch of your WiFi router is on.
- If everything is correct, but your Windows PC can’t connect to the Canon printer then, you’ve to run the Windows 10 Network troubleshooter à Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Network troubleshooter (Change your network settings) > Follow prompts.
Update Canon Printer Driver
The printer may have some new drivers who are asking for an update. Open the Device Manager in your Windows 10, expand the Printers list, right-click on your Canon printer drivers and click Update Driver. Wait for drivers to update and see if your issue has been fixed.
Install the latest Canon Printer Drivers
Printer drivers are an essential part of running the printer functions from the computer, and if drivers are missing or corrupted, or older, problems may occur. You can check the driver update from Windows 10 by visiting Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates.
Or, you can visit the canon support site (canon.com/ijsetup) and install the latest canon printer drivers and software.
If Canon printer couldn’t install to Windows 10 PC
When the canon printer fails to install in Windows 10, you can install it in another way shown below. You may take is as the manual method to install a printer on your computer;
- Open the settings and click on Devices to reach Printers & scanners.
- Under the Related Settings on the right side, click on Print server properties.
- Click on Drivers from the top bar and look for your printer.
- If your canon printer model isn’t listed, click on Add and Next.
- Choose the architecture and click next.
- Select the printer manufacturer available on the left and the Canon driver on the right.
- Click Next > Finish and add your Canon printer driver.
Reinstall Canon Printer in Windows 10
Removing and reinstalling the Canon model in Windows 10 is the most common solution. But, first, you’ve to remove the printer model from your Windows PC and reinstall the printer.
- Open Printers & scanners and select the canon printer in the shown list.
- Click Remove Device.
- Again open Printers & scanners and click Add a printer.
- When you see your canon model in the list, click add device.
- Check the WiFi or USB connection if you can’t see the printer model.
What’s the Canon printer status?
The status should be Online. Open the Canon printer from the Printers and scanners list, right-click to see the properties, and check the printer status. If the status is Offline, follow troubleshooting steps;
- Run the printer power cycle by turning it off and turning it back on.
- Ensure the Canon printer and Windows 10 pc is connected to the same network.
- Set your Canon printer as the default printer. For it à Printers & scanners > Canon XXXX model > open queue > Set As Default Printer.
- In the default setting, clear Pause Printing > OK.
- Restart your Windows 10 PC.
Reset the Print Spooler
If any of the above steps don’t help you, you should try clearing the spooler files. The print spooler file manages the printing process. Go through the below steps;
In this solution, we’ll show you how to clear and reset your canon printer spooler;
- From the start menu, open Services.
- At the bottom, you’ll see two tabs. Select Standards and double-click on the Print Spooler.
- Click on Stop to clear the spooler files and hit on OK.
- In the search box, type search box %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers and press enter.
- Then, click on %WINDIR%\system32\spool\PRINTERS and delete each file in the shown folder.
- Now, repeat steps 1 and step 2.
- Click on Start, open Startup Type, and click Automatic > OK.
If your Canon printer is still encountering issues on windows 10, then contact tech support or take the printer to a nearby Canon service center.